Wednesday 25 May 2016

The nature and purposes of research



Primary and Secondary Research

Primary and Secondary Research are the two ways of gathering information.  Primary Research is when the information doesn't yet exist, so you go out an find the information yourself. Secondary is when it already exists and you need to find the research someone else has conducted. 


Primary Research involves interviews and surveys. I did this for my animation, when I found out about what kind of animated films people liked and what they liked about them. This allowed me to create something that I knew would be well received by my target audience.


In my E Sting, I also needed to do Primary research to find out how people felt about current idents on the channel and opinions on my own idea. To do this, I created a survey that contained a link to the animation and asked questions about what the genre and style was, to make sure ours reflected the original ideas well. We also gathered information from classmates when they were shown the video and gave their opinions.Secondary Research is when the information already exists, so you go and find it from alternate sources such as the internet or magazines. 


Secondary information involves looking at pre existing information, such as sales figures or reviews. 


This was used in my Unilever advert, before creating the video I researched the company and previous advertisements that existed for the product and saw which were the most popular. I did this by looking at the amount of views and likes on the company's YouTube videos. When I worked out which were the most popular videos, I could create something that sells whilst still keeping aspects of Unilever's image. This was using elements of sports, with him being in a gym and references to popularity, with him attracting attention. This kind of imagery is seen in the videos for products such as Lynx as it specifically appeals to Teenage boys.





Quantitative and Qualitative 

 Quantitative and Qualitative research refer to what kind of information has been gathered and how it can be interpreted,   


Quantitative Research is when information is in specific categories and can be organised numerically, focusing on the quantity,  for my advert, I also needed to find out how popular TV shows were by looking at their viewing figures. This allowed me to see what kind of time I would show the advert on a channel, depending on how likely it would be for my target audience to be watching.



Qualitative research is when where information can be observed but not measured, such as reviews. For my Screenplay project I needed to come up with ideas for a plotline, so to do this I looked at news article from the last few years to see if their were any important articles that could influence ideas and characters. This is qualitative because I could look at what kinds of articles were popular, but could not split them into categories because they were all so different.





Data Gathering Agencies


Data like this is gathered through companies such as BARB and RAJAR. BARB stands for Broadcaster's Audience Research Brand. The point of this company is to find out what certain households watch on Television. The information is gathered using remotes, that are given to a specific group of designated families over a variety of target audiences. This remote links to the TV and the main point of it is to record when someone is watching, this is done by a member of the household pressing a button when they're watching what is currently playing. There are some issues to this, due to the small sample sizes and the possibility that people may forget to press the button, but it provides an average viewing amount that can then be applied to the rest of the area. RAJAR is the radio equivalent, that finds out how many people are listening, they ask people what stations they are most likely to listen to.


IMDB is a website that has information on TV shows and films, including previous viewing figures for popular episodes and reviews from critics and the general public. This is a good way to see how everyday people responded to the product 






Market Research


You also need to research specific details about products you're creating, such as how well it will appeal to an audience. When researching for my rebranding a product unit, I chose to aim mine at teenage boys. to work out the specific audience I was targeting, I create a profile using psychographic and demographic sections to apply to them. This included looking at the range of ages, class and deciding who the secondary audience would be.

When I'd decided on the full audience, I needed to see what appealed to them, so I looked at adverts that already existed and read opinions that people had given. I also created a survey for both the primary and secondary audiences that asked about them as a person, so that I could work out which group they'd fit into, and questions discussing their preferences in adverts and how likely they were to use the product.



Production Research


Production Research is the information you need to work out for filming, such as where and what will be involved and the legal issues you need to cover. 


When filming my Documentary, I needed to make sure I was allowed to film the entirety of it. So this involved collecting signed talent releases from anyone who was going to appear in the footage and location releases and recces for anywhere that I planned to film. This was to make sure that I was legally allowed to film in these places and that the people were comfortable appearing on film.



























No comments:

Post a Comment